Query Number: 1808-4 August 2018
Have a question about this query? If so, send us an email and we'll get back to you.
Chris found an obituary for Vane Hamilton Seely:
Vane H. Seely – October 12, 1965 – Long Beach, WA
SEELY – Vane H., late of Long Beach, Wn.; beloved husband of Clara Vincent Seely; father of Betty Holden, Tillamook; grandfather of John and Terrie Holden. Mr. Seely was a retired member of Portland Police Dept. Friends invited to funeral services Friday, 1:30 pm, Chapel of Miller & Tracey, SW 20th pl & Morrison. Vault interment Willamette National Cemetery. Published in the Oregonian Thursday October 14, 1965
She found a birth record
- Vane H Seeley b. 7 Aug 1897 at Lakechon, Clark, WA to JE Seeley, age 30, railroad worker b. IL and Maggie Swager age 29, b. WA, mother of 3
Multnomah Co Marriages
- Seely, JE to Crosley, Mary M 1894
SS Application and Claims Index
- Vane Hamilton Seely b. 7 Aug 1897 at Felida, Clark, WA to John E Seely and Margaret Swager
1940 census: Portland, Multnomah, OR
- Vane Seely, age 42, b. WA Officer City Police force
- Clara Seely age 41 born OR
- Betty Seelydaughter age 18 b. OR
1930 census: Portland, Multnomah, OR
- Vane H Seely head age 32 age at first marriage 23 born WA PA WA Police Officer City
- Clara Seely wife age 31 age at first marriage 22 born OR Denmark Denmark
- Betty J Seelydaughter age 8 born OR WA OR
1920 census: Portland, Multnomah, OR
1910 census: Portland Ward 8, Multnomah, OR
OR Church and Cemetery Records
- Margaret M Seely age 41 married 21 Oct 1909 at The Dalles, OR to John S Eubanks
Portland Death certificates
Chris couldn’t find any more information on John E Seely.
Requester: Chris Havnar
Initial Response Information:
- John E Seely bur. 16 Dec 1898 at Lone Fir Pioneer Cemetery in Portland, Multnomah, OR. Two photos of the gravestone. One clearly says 1867-1898; the other looks like 1839 – 18_8. It seems to be the same stone though.
Portland, OR Directories
- 1891: John E Seeley, brakeman, res. East Portland, boards east side of Gaines, 3 s of Russell
1900 census Portland, Multnomah, OR
- Seely, Maggie b. Nov 1853 WA, PA, IL, 3 ch., 3 living, boarding house keeper
- Seely, Henry b. Jul 1886, Bertha F b. Jul 1885, both b. OR, CAN, WA; Vane H b. Aug 1897 WA, CAN, WA
- Wenker, Mary, sister b. Aug 1880 WI, WI, SWITZ
Obituary for Bertha:
- Livingston–August 25, Bertha Florence, 2421 SE Ash; mother of Paul V. Livingston; sister of Vane H. Seely and Mrs. Meta Crosby. Services Saturday, August 28, 10 am, Ross Hollywood Chapel, NE 48th & Sandy. Friends invited. Vault interment Lincoln Memorial. Member of First Christian Church. The Oregonian, Portland, OR, Fri., Aug. 27, 1965, Page 38
- Bertha Florence Crosby Livingston b. 19 Apr 1885 at Portland, Multnomah, OR to William Henry Crosby and Mary Margaret Swager
- Crosby, WH to Swager, Maggie 1883
1930 census Portland, Multnomah, OR
- Meta Crosby age 33 as the wife of Harry Crosby age 43. They are md for 12 years.
Therefore, Henry and Bertha Seely of the 1900 census are Margaret Swager’s children from her earlier marriage to William Crosby.
I also can’t find John E Seely in any record that would identify his parents. Vane Seely’s census records indicate his father was b, in IL, CAN or PA; John’s marriage record indicates IL If you can help identify this John E Seely contact me.
Responder: Query Editor
Looking to pay for the 2023 SGS International Reunion fees online? Learn How