Have a question about this query? If so, send us an email and we'll get back to you.
Chris recently found an obituary for Mark Seeley of Hobart, Lake, IN who died 27 Oct 2017 age 74. The obituary lists Mark’s parents as Clayton and Margaret Seeley. Chris had previously researched this family based on Margaret’s obituary.
1930 census Chicago, Cook, IL
• Seeley, Clayton B lodger (in hotel) age 25 b. IN, MN, IN, plasterer
1920; census Hammond, Lake, IN
• Seeley, Grant D age 52 b. OH, US, IRE, RR freight conductor
• Seeley, Lottie age 38 b. IL, MD, KY
• Seeley, Clayton age 16 b. IN, OH, IL
• Linz, Maud age 28, lodger b. IN, IL, US
1910 census Hammond, Lake, IN
• Seely, John age 37 b. OH, OH, OH, steam RR conductor, md 9 yr to
• Seely, Lottie age 26 b. IL, MD, KY, 1 ch., 1 living
• Seely, Clayton age 6 b. IN, OH, OH
• Erickson, F L age 33 b. NOR, NOR, NOR, foreman
1900 census North, Lake, IN
• Seely, John boarder b. Sept 1865 OH OH OH Switchman
1904 Hammond Indiana City Directory
Seely, Grant D – John (Lottie E.), switchman, h 4713 Olcott Av
IN Marriage Record
• Grant D Seely age 34 md to Lottie E Barron 23 jan 1901 in lake Co.
IL Death Index
• Grant Delaney Seeley b. 9 Sept 1866 MN, d. 4 oct 1924 Thornton, Cook, IL, buried at Oak Hill, switchman, spouse Lottie Seeley, father Grant D Seeley
What is Grant Seeley’s ancestral lineage?
Requester: Chris Havnar | email@example.com
Initial Response Information:
I wasn’t able to find any evidence of an older Grant D Seeley and imagine that the death record informant, probably the son Clayton, put his own father’s name on the form. I have seen this happen several times before.
However, I did find:
Chicago, IL Voter Reg’n 1892
• Seely, GD, b. OH, lived in precinct 4 mos, in county and state 1 yr.
1870 census Lebanon, Meigs, OH
• Seely, Solomon B age 49 b. OH, jour carpenter
• Seely, Ruth A age 42 b. MD
• Seely, William H age 20, farmer, Mary F age 15, Martha E age 12, Charlie R age 8, Lydia E age 6, Grant age 2, all b. OH
We have Solomon B Seely in the SGS database as a son of SGS# Abijah C Seely. Unfortunately, Grant is not listed with Solomon and Ruth in the 1880 census and I haven’t been able to locate him elsewhere. I also can’t find any other Grant Seeley. I’d like to find some link between Grant, the son of Solomon and Grant who md Lottie Barron before making that conclusion. Let me know if you can help.
Responder: SGS Query Editor