Have a question about this query? If so, send us an email and we'll get back to you.
The photo of Mr and Mrs Charles Seeley and the obituary of their son Charles Seymour Seeley, both shown below, were sent to us by Barbara who wondered if they were ‘our’ Seeleys. Charles is SGS# 1937, Charles Lyon Seeley b. 1804, died 1884, married to Maria Seymour. Barbara is especially interested in Maria since she is supposedly the sister of Barbara’s 3rd gt grandmother , Margaret Violetta Seymour Jewett.
Another Pioneer Passes Away
In the death of Charles Seymour Seeley, mention of whose passing was mentioned last week, Northville mourns the loss of another of its sturdy pioneer citizens. Born at Waterford on April 7th 1845, he grew to manhood in this immediate vicinity and his whole life was spent in this township. For more than 35 years he followed the vocation of a farmer and stock buyer and enjoyed a large acquaintance among the people of the surrounding country. On February 11, 1875 he was united in marriage to Susie Smitherman, and to this union one child, a son, harry P. Seeley was born. Mr and Mrs Seeley were residents of Northville village for many years until about a year and a half ago when they went to Detroit to spend the sunset of their years with their son.
Death came to Mr Seeley on Tuesday, January 31st, his devoted wife and son being at his bedside when the final summons came, and to whom the tenderest sympathy of many friends are extended. Funeral services were held at Schrader brothers’ funeral parlors on Thursday afternoon last, being conducted by Rev. E. V. Belles. Interment took place at Rural Hill cemetery. Northville Record, February 10, 1922
Requester: Barbara Webster | firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial Response Information:
For some reason the children of Charles Lyon and Maria Seymour Seeley are not in our database.
• Charles L Seeley, age 81, widower died 5 Dec 1885 at Northville, Wayne, MI. Says he was b. in CT to unknown parents
• Augusta S Palmer b. 25 Sept 1833 NY to Chas L Seeley and Maria Seymour b. CT, 1st md at age 24, parent of 3 children, none living, married, died 19 Feb 1908 at Detroit, Wayne, MI
1850 census Plymouth, Wayne, MI
• Seeley, Charles L age 47, farmer b. CT
• Seeley, Maria age 44 b. NY
• Seeley, Augusta age 17, Frances age 14, both b. NY; Mary age 11, Harriet age 8, Charles S age 5, all b. MI
• Kellogg, James, age 26 cooper b. NY
1860 census Plymouth, Wayne, MI
• Seely, Charles L age 56 b. CT, farmer
• Seely, Maria age 53 b. NY
• Seely, Frances age 24 b. NY, Mary age 21, Seymore age 15, Lillian age 2, all b. MI
• Welch, Marion age 15 b. MI
• 2 hired men
1870 census Plymouth, Wayne, MI
• Seeley, Chas L. age 66, farmer, b. CT
• Seeley, Maria age 62 b. NY
• Seeley, Seymour age 26, farm laborer, Nancy age 12, both MI
• 3 unrelated servants/laborers
In 1880 in Plymouth Charles M Seeley age 76 with Mariah age 73, sharing house with Charles S age 35 and his wife Susan age 31
1880 census Detroit, Wayne, MI
• Palmer, Ripley M age 47, RR conductor b. NY, NY, NY
• Palmer, Augusta S age 46 b. NY, CT, CT
• Hamilton, Franklin age 42, painter b. NY, NY, NY
• Hamilton, Mary age 41 b. MI, NY, NY
• Hamilton, Fannie S age 2 b. MI, NY, MI
• Hattie Seeley b. 1842, d. 1859 buried at Thayer Cemetery, Northville, Wayne, MI. Stone matches those of her parents Charles L and Maria.
Records of Thayer Cemetery, Northville, Wayne, MI
• Hamilton, Mary Seeley born 1839 died 1923 | Archives Lists: died 1922
• Hamilton, Fannie C. “daughter of Frank & Mary Hamilton” born 1878 died 1883
• Terrill, Lillie N. b. 1858, d. 1938
1900 census Northville, Wayne, MI
• Terrill, Francis G b. Feb 1844 MI, NY, NY, landlord, md 25 yr to
• Terrill, Lillie b. Jan 1858 MI, MI, MI, 2 ch., 1 living
• Terrill, Roy b. Dec 1885 MI, Mi, MI
• Hamilton, Mary b. Mar 1839 MI, NY, NY, mother-in-law, divorced
• Ringle, Mary, servant b. Feb 1883 MI, GER, GER
It looks as though Lillie Seeley Terrill is the daughter of Mary Seeley. I didn’t have any luck trying to confirm the relationship of Maria Seymour Seeley to Margaret Seymour Jewett. Please contact me if you have any information on Maria Seymour. Meanwhile I will be adding these Seeley children to our records.
Responder: SGS Query Editor