Have a question about this query? If so, send us an email and we'll get back to you.
Chris found two obituaries for Clarence S Seeley of Independence, KS. Here is one of them:
Clarence S. Seeley, March 30, 1963, Independence, KS
“Clarence Seeley, 80, Dies at Independence”
INDEPENDENCE – Clar S. Seeley, 80, who operated a restaurant here from 1931 until retiring in 1955, died Saturday night. Surviving are his wife; two sons, Loren of Independence and Milo of Chicago; four grandchildren and a brother, Harry Seeley of Waterloo.
Services: Tuesday at 2, White’s.
Published in the Cedar Rapids Gazette, April 1, 1963, p. 5
Chris also found a cemetery record for Clarence at Findagrave.com that identified his father as Franklin A and his wife as Edith Spece Seeley. That led her to Franklin’s cemetery record that identified his parents as Sheldon Seely and Lola Lewis, his wife as Ada Moore, whom he married 12 Sept 1880 in Buchanan Co., IA, and their five children, Orval, Clarence, Inez, Jesse, and Henry. Chris later found information on the families of these children. Contact Chris or Linda if you want those details. However, who is this Sheldon?
Requester: Chris Havnar
Initial Response Information:
The 7th Generation Families of Nathaniel Seeley, p. 83, shows several children for Sheldon Seeley, SGS# 1086c, by his first and second wives (no name for first wife, Lola for second wife) but no information on the children’s spouses or that they had children. There is no death information for Sheldon. We had previously identified wives and children for two of Sheldon’s children by his first wife—SGS# 2752, John Seeley, and SGS# 2753, Benjamin Seeley. By Sheldon’s second wife, Lola, we had 2 children—SGS# 2755, Alexander Seeley, b. abt. 1847, NY, and SGS# 2756, Margaret Seeley, b. Mar 1850, Machias, Cattaraugus, NY. Further research led to these records:
US Mortality Schedule
– Sheldon Seeley, widowed, b. abt. 1798, NY, d. Nov 1879, age 81, of old age, at Liberty, Buchanan, IA
– Emma Seeley, age 17, md. John M Blank, 18 Oct 1866, Buchanan Co., IA
– Emma Seeley Blank, widow, age 37, b. 1850, Rochester, Monroe, NY, to Sheldon Sealey and Lola Lewis, md. Hugh Hersey, 28 May 1887, Buchanan Co., IA
1880 census Liberty, Buchanan, IA
– Blank, John M, age 36, farmer, b. PA, PA, PA
– Blank, Emma M, age 30, b. NY, NY, NY
– Blank, Carrie L., age 11; Kittie J age 7; Lottie L., age 5; all b. IA, PA, NY
– Seeley, Frank A, age 32, bro.-in-law, painter, b. NY, PA, NY
1870 census Liberty, Buchanan, IA
– Blank, John, age 26, b. PA, farmer
– Blank, Emma, age 20, b. NY
– Blank, Carrie, age 1, b. IA
– Seeley, Sheldon, age 72, b. NY
1850 census Machias, Cattaragus, NY
– Seeley, Sheldon, age 52, b. NY
– Seeley, Lola, age 41, b. VT
– Seeley, Olive, age 20; John, age 18; Benjamin, age 16; Sally A, age 13; Alexander, age 3; Margaret E, age 6 mos.; all b. NY
– Lola Seeley, b. 1810, d. 15 Mar 1854, age 44, wife of Helden, bur. New Hampshire Cemetery, Lily Lake, Kane, IL
– So SGS# 2755 is Frank Alexander Seeley (31 Oct 1848 NY-17 Jan 1910, Buchanan Co., IA), md. Ada Moore, 12 Sept 1880, 5 children.
– SGS# 2756 is Margaret Emma Seeley, b. 1850, NY, md. 1st John M Blank, 18 Oct 1866, md 2nd Hugh Hersey, 28 May 1887. Information on her children is shown below.
– Carrie Lola Blank, age 18, dau. of John Martin Sullis Blank
– Emma Etta Seeley, md. 22 Sept 1886, Nelson Melvin Gageby
– Jenill Blank, age 19, dau of John Blank and Emma Seely, md. 8 Nov 1890, Albert Terres
– Lottie Blank, age 22, md. 10 Mar 1897, F H Sampson
1900 census Cono, Buchanan, IA
– Sampson, Robert, b. Sept 1829, ENG, ENG, ENG, farmer, md. 39 yrs. to
– Sampson, Anna C, b. June 1839, CAN, SCOT, SCOT, 6 ch., 3 living
– Sampson, Fred H, b. Jun 1874, IA, ENG, CAN, farm laborer, md. 3 yrs. to
– Sampson, Lottie, b. Aug 1875, IA, PA, NY, 1 ch., 1 living
– Sampson, Florance O, b. Jul 1898, IA, IA, IA
In 1920 Fred and Lottie are in Elkton, Brookings, SD, with dau. Florence O, age 21, and Marion M, age 12
1900 census Liberty, Buchanan, IA
– Gageby, Mellville, b. Aug 1851, OH, OH, OH, day laborer, md. 14 yrs to
– Gageby, Carrie, b. Nov 1868, IA, PA, IL, 6 ch., 5 living
– Gageby, Guy, b. Jun 1886; Charles, b. May 1889; Maggiee, b. Jun 1890; Ida, b. Oct 1896; Sharlott, b. Dec 1898; all b. IA, OH, IA
– Parker, Jessie A, b. Apr 1880, IA, OH, OH, house servant
In 1910 in Liberty Melvin N and Carrie L Bageley have had 9 ch., 7 living: Charles A, age 21, Margaret L, age 19, Chalotte R, age 13, Ida I, age 11, Winnifred V, age 9, Eva, age 6, Wayne J, age 3; all b. IA, OH, IA.
In 1920 they are in Elkton, Brookings, SD, with ch. Winnifred V Gerhitz, age 18, md., and Gageby, Eva J, 15, Wayne, age 12, and Nelson L, age 8; all b. IA.
In 1940 Carrie Gageby is in Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI, with dau. Ida Maxwell, age 41, and 2 grandch.
1910 census Elkton, Brookings, SD
– Tures, Albert, age 38, b. IA, NY, IL, farmer, md. 19 yrs. to
– Tures, Catherine, age 37, b. KS, PA, IL, 4 ch., 4 living
– Tures, Karl, age 18; Hugh, age 14; Delpha, age 10; all b. IA, IA, KS; Mervine, age 2, b. MN, IA, KS
– Hursey, Emma, mother-in-law, age 60, b. IL, NY, NY
In 1920 Albert Tures, Jewell K, Hugh, and his wife, Cella, Delpha, Mervine, and Emma Hursey are all in Shevlin, Clearwater, MN.
In 1900 Albert’s wife is called Julia.
1930 census Shevlin, Clearwater, MN
– Tures, Albert, age 58, b. IA, NJ, IA, farmer, md. 39 yrs. to
– Tures, Kittie, age 57, b. KS, PA, IL
– Spicer, Mervine, age 32, dau., b. MN, IA, IA, md. 1 yr. to
– Spicer, Fred, age 27, son-in-law, b. ND, IA, IA, farm laborer
– Carrie L Gageby, b. 1868, d. 1941, bur. with husband, Melvin N Gageby (1850-1947), Forest Hill Cemetery, Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI
– Kitty J Tures, “Mother,” 1872-1931, Albert Tures, 2 Jul 1871-8 Dec 1950, and Carl Alvin (S. Dak. Pvt 160 Dep. Brig., American Legion marker), all bur. Oakwood Cemetery, Lisbon, Ransom, ND
– Lottie H Sampson (1875-29 Mar 1962) and Fred H (1874-21 Aug 1926), both bur. Elkton City Cemetery, Elkton, Brookings, SD
TX Death Index
– Hugh Elmer Tures, b. 17 Jan 1896, IA, resided Port Neches, Jefferson, TX, son of Albert Tures and Kitty Jewel d. 2 Jan 1962, Marlin, Falls, TX
Responder: Query Editor