Have a question about this query? If so, send us an email and we'll get back to you.
Renee came across a cemetery record for Seeley Harger b. 1850, died 1927, buried in Sanitaria Springs Cemetery, Sanitaria Springs, Broome, NY. His wife is listed as Ida T Odell Harger b. 1856, died 1920. Renee knew there was a Seeley Harger b. 1801 Saratoga Co. NY, died 1873 Oakland Co. MI, son of Mary/Polly Seeley, SGS# 1974 and her husband Eber Harger. Renee would like to know the relationship of the Seeley Harger b. 1850 to the Seeley family.
Requester: Renee Woodworth | firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial Response Information:
1850 census Romulus, Seneca NY
• William age 22 and Jane age 24 Harger with Elizabeth age 4 and Edward age 1, all b. NY.
• Also Lydia Jeffrey age 14 b. NY
• Next door is the family of James Jeffrey age 74 b. NJ.
1860 census Lodi, Seneca, NY
• Hodger, WM, age 35 b. NY
• Hodger, Jane age 38, b. NY
• Hodger, Elizabeth age 14, Edward age 12, Selah age 10, Jane age 6, Ida age 4, Eva age 3, all b. NY
1870 census Colesville, Broome, NY
• Hodge, William age 46 b. NY, farmer
• Hodge, Jane age 49 b. NY
• Hodge, Edward age 21, Elizabeth age 23, Lilly age 19, Jennie age 16, Ida C age 14, Effie age 13, Ella A age 7, William J age 5, Lucy age 3, all b. NY
1875 census Broome Co. NY
• Harger, William L. age 50 b. Seneca Co.,
• Harger, Jane, age 52 b. Seneca Co.
• Harger, Seeley, 24, Eva, 17, Nellie, 13, all b. Seneca Co.; William, 10, Lucy C., 8, both b. Broome Co.
• Harger, Edward age 26, b. Seneca Co.
• Harger, Mary C., age 22, b. Seneca Co.
• Harger, Ethelbert, age 1 yr 7 mos. b. Broome Co.
1880 census Colesville, Broome, NY
• Odell, Enos H age 54 , farmer b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
• Odell, Elizabeth age 46 b. NY, NY, NY
• Odell, Ida age 22, dau., md, b. NY, NY, NY
• Odell, Frank age 6, Lena age 4, Harry age 2, ch. b. NY, NY, NY
• Harger, Seely, age 24, son-in-law, b. NY, NY, NY
1880 census Coventry, Chenango, NY
• Harger, Wm L and Jane
• McLollough, Effie, dau. age 23
• Harger, William age 15, Lucy age 13
1900 census Maine, Broome, NY
• William Harger age 75 b. Feb 1825 NY, NY, NY, widowed, farm laborer is living with his daughter and son-in-law: Elizabeth Edwards b. Nov 1846 NY, NY, NY md 30 yr to Alfred Edwards b. Apr 1841 NY, NY, NY, farmer. Elizabeth has had 2 ch., 1 still living.
1900 census Binghamton, Broome, NY
• Ida T Harger b. Sept 1856 is listed md 21 yr to husband Seely Harger b. Dec 1850, no ch. on 15 June 1900 also Ida G Harger b. Nov 1856, md 22 yr is listed with her parents Enos and Elizabeth Odell in Colesville, Broome, NY on 11 June 1900 1920 census Binghamton
• Ida A Harger age 58 with husband Ceily Harger age 68. Ceily is a deputy sheriff at the county jail.
After I sent this census information to Renee she did some more investigation including a trip to Ovid, Seneca Co. She found the probate and will of Edward Harger Jr, son of Edward Harger and Susanna Dickenson. William L Harger of Colesville, Broome, NY is listed as a son. Further information indicates that his wife was Jane Covert. Edward Harger Jr’s 1st wife, mother of his children, is Catherine L, possibly Catherine Leek, with Leek also a possibility as William L’s middle name. Another child of Edward Harger Jr is Sarah/Sally A Harger b. 1830 in Ovid. She married William Pease Seeley, son of John Beardsley Seeley, SGS# 1961 as his 2nd wife in 1857.
So, Seeley Harger b. 1850, d. 1927 is a son of William L Harger, who is a son of Edward Harger Jr. Edward Harger Jr is a brother of Nancy Harger who md John Beardsley Seeley, SGS# 1961. John Beardley Seeley’s sister Arvilla, SGS# 1969 md Seeley Harger, son of Mary/Polly Seeley (SGS# 1974). Her husband Eber Harger is a brother of Edward Harger Jr, and Nancy Harger.
If you are confused by now (!) you probably don’t want to know that John Beardsley Seeley also had a brother, William Pease Seeley, SGS# 1963, who married a Sally Harger in 1810. This Sally Harger married Peter Covert in 1821, after William died, and then she died in 1825.
Responder: Query Editor