Have a question about this query? If so, send us an email and we'll get back to you.
Chris, our webmaster and Ancestor File Co-chairperson, found an obituary that gave information that conflicted with what we had in our database and in the 7th Generation of Descendants of Obadiah Seely: for SGS# 3897, Peter Johnson Seely.
Our information was that he was married to a Miss Chase. The obituary for Peter (http://www.seeley-society.net/obits-ly/obit-PeterJSeely.html) states that his wife was Mary E Hunt.
Requester: Chris Havnar
Initial Response Information:
1880 Census: Milo, Yates, New York
• Peter J. Seely age 59 Farmer b. NJ, NJ, NJ
• Mary E. Seely wife age 50 b. NY, NY, NY
• Elizabeth Hunt mother-in-law age 74 b. NY, NY, NY
• Jennie King boarder age 35 Tailoress b. NY, NY, NY
• Frederick King boarder age 30 Tin Smith b. NY, NY, VT
• James Wheeler boarder age 26 Clerk in Dry Store b. NY, NY, NY
1870 Census: Torrey, Yates, New York
• Peter Seeley age 50 Farmer b. NJ
• Mary Seeley age 43 b. NY
• Franc Seeley female age 21 b. NY
• George Seeley age 15 b. NY
• Anna Hartwell age 14 b. NY
1860 Census: Torrey, Yates, New York
• Peter J Seelye age 41 Farmer b. NJ
• Mary Seelye age 32 b. NY
• George F Seelye age 5 b. NY
• William Cashan age 22 Farm Laborer b. Ireland
• Ann Gollahar age 17 Domestic b. Ireland
1850 census Milo, Yates, NY
• Hunt, Able B age 44 b. NY, dry goods merchant
• Hunt, Elizabeth age 44 b. NY
• Seeley, Mary E age 22 b. NY
• Seeley, Peter J age 22 b. NJ, farmer
• Seeley, Frances E age 1 b. NY
• Hunt, Hannah E age 14, Patience M age 12, both b. NY
1900 census Penn Yan, Yates, NY
• Sisson, Charles H b. Jun 1843 NY, NY, NY, insurance agent, married 28 yr to
• Sisson, Frances E b. Nov 1849 NY, NY, NJ, 1 ch., 1 living
• Sisson, Mary E b. Oct 1872 NY, NY, NY, dau.
The Sissons continue to reside in Penn Yan. In 1920 the dau. is Mary Eva; in 1930 Frances is a widow, the dau. is Eva and there is a boarder, James Casterline age 42 b. NY, NY, NY, theater janitor
1940 census Milo, Yates, NY
• Sisson, M Eva age 67 b. NY, NY, NY, single, resided same house in 1935
• Seeley, Harry age 61 cousin, b. NY, NY, NY, photographer in photo studio,
married, resided same place in 1935
• Seeley, Minnie age 60, cousin, b. CAN, married, resided same place in 1935
Minnie is Minnie Blanche in the 1920 census of Milo. Harry’s wedding announcement names her as Emily Bowker. I found her in Milo in 1900 as Minnie Bowker age 23 b. CAN, NY, NH to US in 1879 niece of Aldin and Minnie Jenkins
YATES COUNTY CHRONICLE, Wednesday 27 February 1864, Obituary:
“Died at his residence in Penn Yan, February 22, 1864,
of pneumonia, Ellis Chase, aged 68 years.
“The deceased was a son of Rev. Abner Chase, (of precious memory.) The family was composed of nine children, Elizabeth, Mary, Lucy, William, Daniel, Elias, Matilda, Susan and Lauren. Of these six are deceased, leaving Elizabeth, widow of Abel B. Hunt, Matilda, wife of M. W. Eastman and Lauren Alverson Chase, the last and youngest. The deceased was born in Sangerfeld, Orange county, Feb. 3, 1815. November 2, 1841, was married to Jane Smith, daughter of Ira and Elizabeth Smith, one of the most respected families in Yates county. The deceased leaves to mourn his departure the wife of his youth and three children, Mary Jane, wife of George Dunning, Albert and Elizabeth, wife of Hiram Dunning.
“The funeral services were held at the residence of the deceased on Lake Street, and was largely attended by both friends and relatives, Rev. E. M. Mills preaching an appropriate service. He will be missed at home where he was the light and joy, yet saddened heart, will find comfort in the thought home be he not, lest, but, gone before.”
Burials Milo Center Cemetry, Milo, Yates, NY
• Seeley, Mary E. 1847 Aug. 27, Died age 2, dau. of Peter and Mary (Hunt) Seeley
Therefore we have shown that Mary E Hunt, wife of Peter J Seely, is the daughter of Elizabeth Chase Hunt and the granddaughter of Rev. Abner Chase.
Responder: Query Editor