Mary Seely

Personal

Gender: Female

Marriage

Spouse: Louis Kay

Date of Marriage: September 4, 1948

Marriage Place: Oil City, PA

Mary Seely Becomes Bride of Louis Kay In Lutheran Church

Gladioli and palms decorated the Christ Lutheran church Saturday for the wedding of Mary Seely, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Seely of Dempseytown road, and Louis Kay, son of Mr. and Mrs. William J. Kay of W. Fourth st. The chancel was illuminated by white tapers in matching candelabra and the honor pews were identified with gladioli and satin bows.

Rev. H. Bielenberg heard the exchange of vows at 1:45 p.m. during the double ring ceremony. Mr. Seely gave his daughter in marriage.

Wedding music was presented by Mrs. Ethel Miller Exley at the organ console. Mrs. Exley, the bride’s music instructor, played a prelude which included, “Indian Love Call,: Friml; Schubert’s “Serenade,” “Liebestraum,” Listt: and “Andante Cantabile” from Tchaikovsky’s “Fifth Symphony.” As the bride entered the church Mrs. Exley played Lohengrin’s “Bridal Chorus,” Wagner: and the popular “Clair deLune,” Debussy, during the ceremony. As recessional, Mendelssohn’s “Wedding March” was played.

The soloist, Lawrence Marchinke, brother-in-law of the bridegroom, sang “Because,” d’Hardelot, and “The Lord’s Prayer,” Malotte, as benediction.

A gown of white faille was worn by the bride. It was designed with a fitted bodice laced in the back with satin ribbon, short sleeves, and full fathered skirt. A bertha collar enhanced the rounded neckline at which she wore as “something old,” her mother’s gold lavaliere set with a diamond. Her lace trimmed veil flowed from a bandeau of orange blossoms and she wore white lace gloves, and carried a lace handkerchief as “something borrowed.” The bridal bouquet was a colonial arrangement of pompons tied with white satin.

Matron of honor for the bride was her sister-in-law, Mrs. Wayne Seely of Ypsilanti, Mich. Her gown, styled identical to that of the bride, was of gold failie with green backlacing. She wore matching mitts and hat and carried a colonial bouquet of bronze pompons tied with green ribbon.

Mrs. Carl Reed, bridesmaid, was costumed in green taffeta with gold and white accessories. The gown was detailed with bertha neckline, fitted bodice with covered buttons extending down the front and bouffant skirt. She wore a headdress and half mitts and carried a colonial bouquet of white pompons with green ribbon streamers.

Wilfred Kay served as best man and ushers were Charles Kay and Arden Seely, brothers of the couple.

Both Mrs. Seely and Mrs. Kay appeared in navy blue. Mrs. Seely choosing a suit with matching accessories, and Mrs. Kay a print frock with black accessories. They wore shoulder sprays of white gardenias.

A lawn reception was held at the Seely home. The bride’s table was arranged entirely in white with the exception of golden wedding rings which adorned the tiered wedding cake. The guarding tapers adorned with satin bows were placed in crystal holders.

After an eastern wedding trip, the new Mr. and Mrs. Kay will reside on E. Second st. For traveling the bride was attired in a suit of wine gabardine, brown alligator accessories and a white orchid corsage.

The bride graduated from Rocky Grove high school and is employed in the offices of the National Transit Pump and Machine Co. Mr. Kay spent five years in the U.S. Navy and is presently employed by the National Transit Co. He received his diploma from Oil City high school in 1933.

Among the out of town guests was an aunt of the bride from Ypsilanti, Mich.

Published in the Blizzard, (Oil City, PA) September 7, 1948 page 12

[Lineage – Mary Lorraine; Willis P.; Elisha Dayton; Rufus Parker; Alva; Samuel; Unknown]