Andrew L. Seely

Personal

Gender: Male

Date of Birth: December 15, 1829

Birth Place: Columbia County, PA

Andrew L. Seely was born Dec. 15, 1829, in Columbia Co., Penn. When four months old his father died, leaving twelve children. When six or eight months old his mother removed to Lower Sandusky, from there to Richland Co., Ohio, where she died. Andrew was now nine years old, and went to live with Mr. Sweet, his wife being a cousin. At the end of six or seven months he went back to Richland county to live with his sister; was afterwards bound to John Sidell till fourteen years of age, but at the end of one year Mr. Sidell left him and went to Pennsylvania. He then went to live with Mr. Hulsopple, and remained with him till fourteen, he promising to give him three months schooling and board and clothes. After this he worked for Mr. Hulsopple six months at $2.50 a month. He now went to Plymouth and served an apprenticeship of five years as tailor with P. F. Burgoyne. Taking a trip to the southern part of Ohio, near Columbus, he went back to Plymouth, worked through the winter till spring, then went to visit his brothers in Illinois. Going to Freeport, he worked six months for Mr. Cannon, visited his brothers in the country some time, then went to Cedar Rapids and opened a tailor shop of his own. In 1855 he left there and came to Kossuth county, settling on Black Cat creek and building a cabin at mouth of the creek, on W. H. Ingham’s land, into which he moved February17. In the fall of 1856 Mr. Ingham sold out and bought another claim. Mr. Seely moved with him, and staid with him till 1857. In the spring of 1855 Mr. Seely made a claim, joining the old town site, where the Northwestern depot and the Stacy farm are, which tract he sold for $450, and afterwards made a claim on Black Cat, on section 10 and section 15, half section. Here he partly built a cabin, sold out, removed and took a quarter section claim on Des Moines river, held it two or three years, entered it, built a cabin and lived on it six months. He was married May 30, 1861, to Alice E. Benschoter, born in Erie Co., Ohio. Mr. Seely took a homestead, joining his squatter’s claim, built a log cabin, and moved in Nov. 21, 1864, living there till 1880, when he erected a new frame house, which he still occupies. It is situated on section 17, he owning eighty acres on the northeast quarter of this section, and also owns 241 acres on section 8. The Upper Des Moines and Plum creek run through his farm. When Mr. Seely first came here with Mr. Ingham, they were very early pioneers, and spent their time trapping, and prospecting for better locations. Having killed a buffalo, and run 100 buffaloes into the creek, they named it Buffalo Fork. They also named Lindner’s creek, and Plum creek, on account of the quantities of plums found here; also named Black Cat creek, that being a favorite creek of Mr. Ingham’s in northern New York. In early days they traveled around visiting with two yoke of cattle hitched to one wagon. Mr. Seely has five children—Grant C., Emma C., Nettie E., James C. And Minnie H. He has been school director. In politics he is neutral.

Page 513,”History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa” 1884

[Andrew L is SGS# 3349 – Andrew; Jacob; John Nichols; Samuel; Samuel; Jonas; Obadiah]