Abraham Seeley, from North Haven, a cooper by trade, and half brother of the before mentioned John Seeley, located on the North Plain in 1798, on land which he bought, with a house then standing, of Roger Buttolph. The site of this house was on the east side of the road about twenty rods north of the old Deacon Isaac Van Deusen homestead. Abraham Seeley was the father of the still well remembered Joel B. Seeley — the old-time miller in Water street — whose descendants still reside here, also of the late Abram Seeley, and of Nancy who became the wife of Deacon Gilbert Ford.
Roger Buttolph, of whom Mr. Seeley purchased, had settled there many years earlier. His name was frequently written “Buthrop,” and the locality above Van Deusenville came very early to be called “Buthrops-borough.”
Page 336, “History of Great Barrington, (Berkshire County,) Massachusetts,” by Charles J. Taylor, Clark W. Bryan & Co., Publishers, Great Barrington, Mass., 1882.